A docent is a volunteer in a museum that educates the public on the exhibits. A great deal of training is required and you do have to live in an area large enough to host a museum.
1. Watch This “How To” Video:
Watch this video from the Smithsonian’s National Museum of American History. Follow two experienced volunteers and hear about what it takes to become a docent.
2. Learn How (Get a book!):
3. Get Materials Here (or somewhere!):
The museum where you are accepted as a volunteer will provide materials and training.
4. Join the Club (Get help – Give help):
Are you just getting started or are you an expert? Get involved with others who share your interest and/or passion for being a docent.
Become a Member:
Follow Our Pinterest Board:
- Share what you know. What advice would you give a beginner?
- Ask what you need to know. What do you want to know from an expert?
Hobsess is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Read our full disclosure here.