There you are. Any given day. The alarm doesn’t go off – eek! You step on a misplaced shoe getting out of bed – ouch! You discover you’re out of toothpaste – thanks a lot honey! And everything else that morning keeps the circle of doom spiraling out of control.
Before you know it, you are in a bad mood!
Is there anything you can do to turn it all around? That, my friend, depends on you.
Sometimes, it’s easier to throw the day away and vow to have a better tomorrow OR you could take action today and change the course of this day. That is your choice.
Sometimes we let outside influences determine our mood. Our spouse, partner, boss, family, politics, pets, put whatever you want insert here – seem like they are working against us and our happiness. But anytime, at any point, you can take control back and reset. Here are some ways to create a good mood.
6 Ways to Trick Your Brain
Here are six simple ways to help you get over being in a bad mood.
1. Take a deep breath and change your thinking. Realize that you are human and humans sometimes get in bad moods. The world isn’t ending. This is temporary. If you have a personal mantra like – This too shall pass or Serenity Now! – say it out loud until you believe it.
2. Get outside. Sometimes changing your environment changes your perspective. Get some nature for a quick lift.
3. Play your favorite song. Turn up the music loud. No, I mean really loud. Dance. Sing.
4. Exercise. Even if you just walk around your house or the building where you work or take the stairs or do jumping jacks in the restroom. Your body has a chemical reaction to movement directly tied to your mood. Awesome design.
5. Watch something funny. A movie is about 1 1/2 to 2 hours long. That’s a long time to be laughing and would be really difficult to revert back to being in a bad mood. If a half hour TV show will work, then go for it. It could give you the same effect and save some time. If you only have a few minutes, I recommend a crazy cat video on YouTube.
6. Smile. I know you don’t want to! That’s the point. Stand in front of a mirror and give yourself the biggest, cheesiest grin you can. Give yourself a full blown, no holds barred, full force SMILE! Make your eyes open wide and your face hurt. Guaranteed to give you a laugh. Try it. It’s a good time to take a selfie.
That’s it. Very simple. Short and sweet. Use one. Use them all. Turn your day around. 😉
You Have the Power
You are the only one who can turn your day around. You know what makes you happy and what makes you crazy. But the bottom line is you can create a good mood.
You can try one of the quick fixes above – change your thoughts, get outside, play your favorite song, exercise, watch something funny or smile til it hurts!
What do you do to create a good mood? I would love to hear what works for you. Thanks for sharing.